Sunday, January 16, 2011

Back from Sabbatical

Well after taking a sabbatical for two years, I think that there's no better way to be back than to write a review of my most recent read, Orange Prize winning "The Lacuna" by Barbara Kingsolver.



Told in the form of journal entries, Kingsolver tells the story of Harrison Shepherd, who is half-American, half-Mexican. The hero takes us through his life from childhood to the end of his life, living in the States as well as Mexico. By his side, entering and leaving, are a host of characters from immediate family to true historical figures. Kingsolver's words truly evoke a sense of time and place as you read. The reader is immersed in the culture of Mexico in the early 1900s as well as back in time through history because of the writings of Shepherd.

I was enchanted by the quirks of all of the clearly delineated characters with my favorite being Frida Kahlo, who invariably played an integral role in the life of Shepherd in many ways, realized or otherwise by our hero.

This historical fiction gem is definitely worth reading and I enjoyed as much as I did Kingsolver's "Prodigal Summer." Perhaps time to give "Poisonwood Bible" another chance.

And continuing in the Orange Prize Challenge for the month of January, I am currently reading "The History of Love" by Nicole Krauss. My friend runs the Facebook group for the challenge where there are prizes that can be won on a daily basis. Go check it out...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home